Sunday 8 January 2012

Crossroads Greeters

Posted on FaceBook Jan. 9
The route I take to go for my workouts passes a senior's facility.  As I drive home there is often a gentleman at the corner, sitting on his walker, waving at the people who pass through the four way stop -- a momentary captive audience. 

He is there more times than not as I am driving home, which makes it seem like he is there quite a bit.  It is as though he has made it his job to be the greeter of this intersection.  His duty: to increase the joy, and connection in humanity, at the crossroads of  X and Y.  I find him to be heartwarming and give a wave back.

I guess we could all choose to have a similar job.  Our crossroads, instead of being one intersection, would just float with us as we move through the day -- with our children at the breakfast table; with our co-workers in a meeting; with the gas attendant at the service station; with the person on the phone.

Does this gentleman do this because he is paid?  I don't think so.  I am guessing he does it because it feels good.  Maybe it could for us too?

No comments:

Post a Comment