Wednesday 5 December 2012

"Yes Man!"

Jim Carrey was up to his antics again in 2008 in the movie 'Yes Man' where he plays a guy that gets himself out of a downward spiral by saying 'yes' to everything.  Of course, saying yes to everything leads him into all kinds of situations and subsequent hilarity, however, there is a depth to this underlying premise that I love.

I can feel the benefit, and momentum, of yessing my way through my day, my week, my life.  It doesn't mean that I will agree to be and do everything that is presented to me.  It means I want to FIND THE YES in every situation and, therefore, I keep myself moving forward, out of resistance, and not blocking what it is I do want. 

If someone asks me to join in on an outing and I don't really feel like being a part of it, I can yes my way by honoring the desire I have for some quiet time; like perhaps to read a book.
If someone asks for some assistance on a project and I'd like to help but don't feel I have the time, I can yes my way by believing there is a solution that allows me to be involved in a comfortable way. 
If the city wants to increase my taxes, I can yes my way by acknowledging the services they provide that I appreciate the most, and by believing in my affluence.
If someone is doing something differently than how I would like it done, I can yes my way by looking for the benefits of doing it in this new way.
If I am feeling overwhelmed or pressured by holiday season activities, I can yes my way by deciding which traditions I love the most and following through with one or two.
If I am tired of the job I am in, I can yes my way by focusing on the clarity I now have about what I want next.
If things don't seem to be moving forward fast enough, I can yes my way by appreciating the freedom I am enjoying, and excitedly anticipate all that is to come.
If the person I am living with is not everything I had dreamed, I can yes my way by remembering what I initially loved about them.
If I don't have the income to cover all the 'outgo' I can yes my way by knowing there are opportunities out there of which I am ready to be a part.

LOP is knowing that every time I respond with a 'no' (closing), there is a 'Yes' (opening) that awaits for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment