Wednesday 16 November 2011

Iyanla Vanzant Quote

I was watching Oprah's online Lifeclass, with Iyanla Vanzant, and in a wonderfully inspired response to a questioner Iyanla said, "Love people enough to tell them the truth, and respect them enough to know that they can handle it."  Brilliant!

How often do we muddy the water with partial truths because we do not have the courage to say the whole truth?  And how often, in those situations, do we hide behind the story that we are not telling the truth because we don't want to hurt the other's feelings?

So, here are some thoughts about that.  First, we are not powerful enough to hurt someone, that is a choice only they can make.  Second, when I am honest with someone from a place of, "I know who you are, you are a powerful, able, creative genius, and I stand in front of you believing in you completely," they are not going to be hurt by what you say, they will blossom.  Third, when I am not honest with someone I am holding me back from expressing who I really am, and in my opinion there is nothing more unloving than that.  Fourth, when I am willing to be honest and open with someone, while I am seeing them as able, I am in the midst of creating the best relationship possible.  And fifth, if I am not willing to tell someone the truth, there is something I am not being honest about with myself.

So, with all that in mind, I would also say, "Love yourself enough to tell the truth, and respect yourself enough to know that you can handle it."

No comments:

Post a Comment