Wednesday 7 December 2011

Joy and Peace

Posted to FaceBook Dec. 7
As a child in Sunday School our teacher taught us a song that went like this:
"I've got joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart, down in my heart, down in my heart.
I've got joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart, down in my heart to stay.
I've got the peace that passeth understanding down in my heart, down in my heart, down in my heart.
I've got the peace that passeth understanding down in my heart, down in my heart to stay."
What a great affirmation!

As a child I liked singing the song because it was fun, and light hearted, and up beat, and it felt good.  It is only recently that I appreciate the brillance of it.  To know that in my heart, at the basis of my existence, is joy and a peace that surpasses my understanding, is definitely LOP.

To have a 'joy down in my heart to stay,' seems to say, "Know that who you really are is joy."  I am not worry, or anger, or fear, or frustration -- I am Joy.  And the peace that passes all understanding is not peace as in the opposite of war, or the peace as in 'peace and quiet.'  The 'peace that passes understanding' feels like a calm . . . still . . . knowing . . . standing solid and unwaivering at the core of who I am.

All that, wrapped up in a punchy little tune, sung with exuberance, and little smiling faces.

Thanks Mom, for teaching me.

No comments:

Post a Comment