Tuesday 13 December 2011

Who's Driving Your Bus?

Posted to FaceBook Dec. 13th
I catch myself sometimes allowing other things in my life to be in the driver's seat.  Like when I check the clock to see if I want to eat, or planning my week around the weather channel.  The clock and the weather channel can be tools to assist me in LOP, but sometimes I think we just hand the steering wheel over and let something else drive our life.  So I have to ask myself, who is serving whom?

Technology has introduced so many ways to connect with people, places and things, right here in my lap, right this minute, that it can be easy to be swept up in it.  When the phone rings most of us stop what we are doing and allow that to become the priority.  Our email and smart phones deliver messages to us all day long, easily making what someone else is wanting, or saying, or doing, more important than what I am wanting, saying, or doing.  These tools of technology are incredibly fun, fascinating, and convenient.  All I am asking is, who is serving whom?

I love taking photos, and when we go on holidays or are attending occasions I love playing with my camera, seeing what I can create and capture.  However, when I am thinking about focusing and apertures and zooming and composing, I can miss the moment of what the photo was about in the first place.  There is a balance I need to create so that I remember who is serving whom.

Our homes serve us with shelter and comfort and are a place to keep all our stuff, however, they can become a source of constant fixing, improving, upgrading, and updating.  Sometimes I can allow the details of home owning to become more important than my own priorities -- then who is serving whom?

Money, the tool created so we are not carrying chickens around for trade, has increased our ease, and created whole industries in our lives, however, sometimes I catch myself serving money versus it serving me.  When I pull back my dream or vision of what I want, because I don't know how I would get the money, I am letting money drive the bus.  When I have judgements and opinions about myself because I have less money than what I think I should have, I am letting money drive the bus.  When I hold back and be or give less than what I want because of my fear of lack of money, the money is driving the bus.  Money is a great invention, we all want it, most of us require it to exist where we live -- and it is suppose to be serving me.

Our friends and family are important to us, many of us are willing to help others whenever we can.  However, some of us, sometimes, get caught up in the pleasing of others before taking care of ourselves.  Others' priorities and desires can become more important than our own.  And, often this is a tough one to hear, and catch, because we have been taught that is best to put the needs of others before our own.  However, the old airplane example of putting your own oxygen mask on first, before helping someone else, reminds us of who we are to be serving first.

Not for a moment do I want to rid ourselves of, or limit the use of any of the creations that seem to be appearing daily in our world.  I just want to remember who is in charge of driving my bus, and who is to be serving whom.

No comments:

Post a Comment