Thursday 19 January 2023

Hallelujah from Leonard Cohen

Posted to Facebook Jan 19th, 2023

I recently watched the biography of Leonard Cohen's song "Hallelujah".  There were many things in it I found interesting like: how many people seem to connect with the song; that it took Leonard six years to write it: that there are probably over 100 different verses for it in his notebooks; and how the song took on a life of it's own, hence the version you are probably most familiar with is not the one Leonard performed, but the one done by John Cale (think Shrek).

But perhaps what was most interesting, for me, was what I came to understand is the meaning of it.  Although there has always been a somewhat dark/somber tone to it for me (especially Leonard's version), it still gives me goosebumps.  Why is that?  What I got from the documentary is the song is saying that no matter how bad things get, no matter how hard things may seem, there is always a Hallelujah.  
No matter what, there is always an upward spiral.

LOP.  Hallelujah!

Thank you for being you Leonard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQK4YfiPj1Q
Rufus Wainwright Live at the Fillmore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcOQSk_cMO0 
k.d. lang at 2010 Vancouver Olympics (for Bear)


No comments:

Post a Comment