Friday 4 November 2011

Lusting After Outcomes


I had been suspicious the last few years that I had not been telling myself the whole truth, but I couldn't put my finger on what I was missing. This summer, I realized I was still 'lusting' after outcomes. Meaning, I was still believing that certain things, certain people, certain situations needed to be a certain way before I could feel good. You know, those 'little' things like traffic, and our work, and relationships, and world issues : )

In actuality, I was holding myself hostage. I was my own jailer. I was sacrificing my joy in certain moments because I did not think it was possible to look at a particular situation and feel at peace anyways.

Then one day, while facing a fairly large issue, I was forced to let it go because I could not control it. I had to step back from it, set it down, detach from it, and as I did I was able to see how this 'reality' was not actually attached to my experience of life, it did not determine it.

What happens outside of me and what happens inside of me are two completely different experiences. I have no control over one and complete control over the. Ahhhhhh, there is no better feeling of freedom or control than that.

So, I am going to practice LOP for the next week by making a note of those 'little' things I am trying to contol or that I am judging as not right. This is an excercise in setting ourselves free and often conscious awareness is enough to do just that. Join in if it sounds like fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment