Friday 4 November 2011

Suppression Becomes Depression


As a teenager I was diagnosed as being clinically depressed. Obviously, I was not LOP, and I didn't even have the words to describe what was wrong or what I wanted. All I knew was I wanted to be happy and it didn't seem like there was anyone who understood, that were talking about such things, or knew how to help me.

Although that experience was, at the time, hell on earth for myself and those around me, I would not give it up for anything now. The learning I received from it continues to light my path. My definition of depression is, "if I SUPpress who I really am long enough I become DEpressed." I was so busy trying to be all that I thought I was suppose to be, I started to drown and suffocate. And yet some little voice knew that there was something more.

Since then that little voice has told me to go backpacking in Australia, it has told me to marry someone from another country that I had only known for a few months, it has told me when to let go of being right about something (not that I always listen), it has told me when to move forward (even if I then ignore it). And so far it has never been wrong.

What is your little voice saying to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment