Sunday 6 November 2011

Normal But Not Natural

I was having a conversation with someone and they shared that they believed it is normal to worry about those we love.  I could feel a knot form in my stomach, which I have come to know as my way, of telling me, that who I really am does not agree with that statement. 

I realized the knot in my stomach was about my definitions of normal and natural.  I have learned that things can be normal because everyone is doing it, but they may not necessarily be natural -- meaning being who we really are.

The reason worrying about loved ones, for me, is not natural is because in the moment I am worrying I am not loving, I cannot be both at the same time.  In the moment I am worrying about them, I am in fear and that is the opposite of love.  If they are my loved ones what is natural is to love them, unconditionally, no matter what.  If I love someone I want to believe in them, help them remember who they really are, trust their ableness, and be the light when they forget all of that.  A loved one is one whom I love, not sporadically, not most of the time, not just when it is easy, but someone I appreciate, as best I can, moment . . . by moment . . .  by moment.

What other stories might we be telling ourselves that may be normal but not natural?

No comments:

Post a Comment