Monday 21 November 2011

Perfection is Not perfect

I jokingly said to a friend, who was jokingly bragging he had never been in the ditch because of snowy, slippery road conditions, "If you've never been in the ditch you are not going fast enough."  There is also a saying that implies if you are not making mistakes in life you are not challenging yourself enough, (or something like that, if someone knows this quote please share).  The intention of my comment was, sometimes we are so determined not to make a mistake, or we are wanting to perform in such a perfect manner, that we end up holding ourselves back to a degree of life that we believe we can guarantee success all the time. 

I sometimes use the word perfect to imply doing something 100%, or without flaws.  And then I sometimes use the word Perfect to imply that the natural unfolding and consequences of every action and incident are Perfect because we are always on the journey of deciding what we don't want, so that we can then better choose what we do want, and be all of who we really are.  The Perfection of life is not in doing life perfectly -- that would lead us to no new decisions or clarity. The Perfection of life is allowing myself not to need to do everything perfectly.  It is to allow those instances of inspiration, to try something new, to stretch and challenge myself, and find that edge where I do make mistakes so I have the opportunity to grow into more.

So no, I was not suggestion that we should all drive recklessly in slippery road conditions and push ourselves beyond our comfort zones.  But, I was suggestion that we not ride the brake of life and hold ourselves back in fear of the 'ditches', because in those 'ditches' lies the Perfection we came to discover.

No comments:

Post a Comment